[RFI] Washing machine RFI question

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Washing machine RFI question
From: "Leigh L Klotz, Jr." <Leigh@WA5ZNU.org>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:09:39 -0800
I have a Whirlpool Duet front-loading washing machine. When operating, it produces tremendous noise on HF. The motor rotates at various speeds and switches directions quickly, so I assume the noise is from the controller doing PWM at high power.

I contacted Whirlpool and they told me to call a service center, but I don't have much faith in that process.

I have tried the obvious things such as an AC line filter and a big toroid core with the power line through it, though I could only get 2 loops through.

I have the opportunity to experiment with shielding the laundry room as it will be moved during construction, and if putting bonded metal plates in the wall will help, I would like to try it...

Has anybody managed to quiet such a device?

73,
Leigh WA5ZNU