Re: [RFI] RF shielding using aluminum foil tape-Fabricating AluminumFoil

To: RCARIELLO@si.rr.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RF shielding using aluminum foil tape-Fabricating AluminumFoil Enclosures
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:09:18 -0600
Rich,

To the reply below, and other excellent ones, including W8JI, I add:

Everything that has been said about the working isolation value being
controlled by the relays and/or antennas is correct.  Let's look at some
numbers:

Xmit power:  1000 watts = +60 dBM

Relay isolation (typical):  50 to 60 dB

Antenna-to-antenna isolation (coupling factor):  40 to 60 dB
(approximately), depending on spacing and orientation (least coupling with
orthogonal orientations)

If you have 60 dB of relay isolation and 60 dB of antenna isolation (an
optimistic value), the net isolation for those 2 factors is 57 dB.

Isolation of typical braided shield coax (in the HF range):  70 to 90 dB
(varies with construction and type of braid)

Isolation of hard line:  100 to 120+ dB (except for leakage at connectors)

Isolation of aluminum foil shield (as you propose):  10 to 30 dB, depending
on quality of bonding at the seams, and accounting for penetration of the
coax cable (which will carry significant coupled RF on the outside of the
braid if the transmit field is near/strong enough)

Isolation of commercial shielding "boxes" or enclosures:  100+ dB, except
for any penetrations

I would expect that a receiver input would see around +5 to +10 dBm input
from any other xmitter, a level which should not toast out anything, but it
will blast the heck out the filters and possibly result in cross-mod and
other undesired effects.

Incidentally, I happen to have a "canned" vacuum relay in my junque box.
It came from an FAA ground-to-air transmitter made by Wilcox Electric.  It
is a copper can (round - the size of a Campbell soup can) fitted with 3
Type-N connectors and using #10 solid copper wire to go from each connector
to the glass-enclosed relay.  I might add that the connecting #10 wires
cross-over each other in 2 places at a spacing of about 0.2" - any guesses
what that did for isolation?

Best luck on your project.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
(former RF shielding engineer)

             k1ttt@arrl.net
             Sent by:
             rfi-bounces@conte                                          To
             sting.com                 "RCARIELLO" <RCARIELLO@si.rr.com>
                                                                        cc
                                       rfi@contesting.com
             01/13/2005 06:38                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: [RFI] RF shielding using
                                       aluminum foil tape-Fabricating
                                       Aluminum Foil Enclosures

you might want to look at some existing solutions and see why they don't
all use multiple vaccuum relays and separate shielded enclosures and all
that stuff.

that being said, aluminum tape is probably not the best thing for
something like this.  not that it won't shield well based on skin depth,
but that joints are hard to properly bond. it is very important when
making shielded enclosures to be sure that the edges and corners have as
good a joint as possible.  you can not count on the adhesive being
conductive which forces you to have surface to surface pressure contacts,
which would likely require special cleaning of the surface of the tape to
be sure it isn't coated with something or just oxidized, and some kind of
conductive sealent... just overlapping joints is not that great of a
method if you want it really tight.

oh, and there is no such thing as 'full' isolation.  isolation between
ports in something like that is specified in db.  you probably want to
read something like this:
http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=1856  to get an idea of
realistic goals and what is available off the shelf.