Re: [RFI] Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine RFI update

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine RFI update
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:38:41 -0800
I think this is incorrect.  It is my understanding that the washer
manufacturer must meet Part 15 emission standards.  If the washer
meets Part 15 emission standards, yet it still causes interference
then the owner of the washer is responsible for complying with Part 15
"usage" regulations.  I don't believe Part 15 requires the washer
manufacturer to fix OR replace anything (even if it is under warranty)
that meets the emission standards.  This is the "dirty secret" about
Part 15.  The CONSUMER is responsible for eliminating interference,
not the manufacturer (assuming the device meets emission standards).
We all know that the emission standards are sufficiently "loose" that
a device operating within the limits can still easily cause
interference.  The FCC failed to adequately protect consumers when
they issued Part 15 regulations.  They SHOULD HAVE required
manufacturers to fix or repair equipment that is causing interference,
but they didn't.