Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL

To: <n6ki@juno.com>, <digital-conjurers@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] San Diego BPL
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:27:54 -0600
   "SDG&E and others wants BPL for reading
    your meters automatically without human
    intervention and to monitor their power
    systems, transformers etc"

This could actually work; these kinds of comms
aren't thick, heavy graphics files but status bytes
and 'meter reads'.

I would think that I get more interference now from
garbage disposals and other appliances cycling on
and off than once-a-month (or even twice a month)
meter reads.

As to 'sharing' spectrum, we already share our bands
with other 'interfering' services (actually, they share
theirs with us I should say!).

Take 70 cm for instance; a shared band. Just this
morning I heard 'Galloping Gerty' (ostensibly an
APS-145 I think) running though the 'repeater' band
again, not really affecting any of my comms, but if
you 'know what to listen for' you can hear her ...

Occasionally Gerty seems switch to a mode that does
blanket the band (and affect comms), but that is rare.

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /

PS. Given my choice, I would vote to ban BPL or
any thoughts along these lines forever ... ...