Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI

To: <wng@daimlerchrysler.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Honda Generator RFI
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:41:33 -0600
Nice summary, I hope everyone takes it
to heart; 'been there and done that' a
few times over, having come from a rather
'hostile' power environment involving
numerous direct off-line muti-ten-kilowatt
'switchers' and line-type 'pulsers'.

By comparison, consumer electronics is
quite tame. Even ham radio RFI is tame
compared to a lot of EM environs out in
the free world, where arc furnaces,
induction heaters, hundred horsepower
DC motors are cycled and pulsed hundreds
to thousands of times a second for speed
and torque control.

We, as hams, actually have it fairly easy!

The filering of numerous direct off-line
muti-ten-kilowatt 'switchers' and line-type
modulators delivering HV 100 KW pulses to
the cathodes of Magnetrons is quite a
messy affair; it should be mere child's
play to 'quiet down' a simple rotary 60 Hz
machine but the simplicity may end there;
the control or excitation for the rotor may
involve any of the more modern switching
techniques to control voltage levels, I don't
know what these smaller power plants use for
regulation as I have only studied some of the
larger power plants that generate power commer-
cially.

Speaking of those military transmitters again
I was involved with earlier-on in my life,
both 400 Hz facility powered units as well
as airborne-powered 400 Hz units:

   Noise, what noise? What you're seeing in
   the way of those 200 V spikes at the transmit
   rep-rate looks normal ... that EMI filter at
   the input will clean all that up ... <grin>

Jim P  /  WB5WPA  /