Re: [RFI] Can Fluorescent bulbs cause RFI problems?

To: W4EF@dellroy.com, ka9fox@qth.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can Fluorescent bulbs cause RFI problems?
From: <dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 11:37:09 -0500
All,

There are two issues associated with fluorescent lights:  conducted and
radiated emissions.

The DIRECT radiated emissions are those from the lamps themselves (the
glass tubes).  Some years ago, when I was in the shielded enclosure
business, we had customers who wanted fluorescent lamps inside their
enclosures because they gave better light than regular incandescent bulbs.
No arguement, but we used regular bulbs in the light fixtures because
incandescent bulbs are a "clean" light source.  Except for a slight glitch
at the moment they are switched on (due to arcing within the switch), no
noise comes from the lamps.  Well, due to customer demand, one of my
colleagues measured the radio spectrum given off by regular 40 watt tubes
(the kind that are 48" long).  He found that the peak spectrum emitted was
around 10 MHz, and that because the field was of a fairly high impedance,
shielding it was rather easy.  The company designed a simple metal screen
that could be fitted over the normal two tube fixture that was effective at
killing the radiated field.  Of course, the fixture had to be metal (most
are) and well grounded (many are not).

The garbage that gets conducted onto the power line from fluorescent lights
comes form two sources:  the plama within the lamp (not a real strong
source) and the electronic ballast that operates the lamp(s).  If you can
manage to find any fixtures that have the old magnetic type ballasts in
them, USE THEM!  (Hint:  magnetic ballasts weigh a lot more than the
electronic ballasts.)  If you go to an industrial electric supply, you
might be able to find some filters specifically made to "clean up" the
power line of fixtures having electronic ballasts.  The shielding company
equipped all enclosures having fluorescent fixtures with the filters (which
installed inside the fixture) and there were no problems, just extra cost.

If you have a house wired with Romex or plastic conduit, that conducted
noise can radiate around via the large area antenna provided by the house
wiring.  Folks with metal conduit get some shielding, but not a lot.

I have 9 fluorescent fixtures in my basement area, all with 2 tubes per
fixture and electronic ballasts, and all running without any interference
to my HF or VHF/UHF operations.  I only have 2 of those compact bulbs
described in the original posting, but I may try using more of them as time
goes by.  I agree that the cost savings, while not great, can add up over
time.  I have no RFI problems with either of those bulbs (both of which are
low power - 40W equivalent types).

73, Dale
WA9ENA

             "Michael Tope"
             <W4EF@dellroy.com
             Sent by:                  <rfi@contesting.com>, "Scott Neader
             rfi-bounces@conte         KA9FOX" <ka9fox@qth.com>
             sting.com                                                  cc

                                                                   Subject
             09/27/2005 01:43          Re: [RFI] Can Fluorescent bulbs
             AM                        cause RFI problems?