Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines

To: kd4e@verizon.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Towers/Antennas Near 138kV Transmission Lines
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
kd4e wrote:
> Along one side of the property is a similar power line,
> about 7 years old now.
>
> It is dead quiet.
>
> My Elmer lives almost under a similar line and operates
> 160-440 without any noise problems.

Are those lines dead quiet when it is drizzling/foggy/misting
etc?  My experiences with those lines is that under those
conditions, they get really noisy.  I have been able to hear
them audibly crackling, and see corona at night, even on
major 500 kV lines.  I've also never driven under a high
tension line where I couldn't hear RFI on a car AM radio.

Someone asked about how to determine the voltage.

Simple:  look at the length of the insulators, and/or the number
of disks.

Rick N6RK