Re: [RFI] DFing an HF RFI source

To: "'Kelly Johnson'" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DFing an HF RFI source
From: "Stu Benner" <w3stu@myactv.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:22:33 -0400
Kelly,

This is not a direct answer to your question but may lead you down a path to
the source.

My first guess at the source of this problem would be an electric fence,
which would be an impulse (broadband) source. Day-to-day variations in
amplitude are also consistent with an electric fence, the variations being
caused by weather (moisture), vegetation, and other physical changes in the
fence circuit. You may only be hearing it over a limited frequency range
because the antenna (the fence) might be a more efficient radiator in your
direction at some frequencies than at others. That effect could also combine
with differences in your system (receiver plus antenna) sensitivity at
various frequencies.

A drive around your area while listening on the AM broadcast band may locate
a candidate source. You could then backtrack from there to confirm that as
the problem emitter. This is a slightly backward approach, but electric
fences are usually easy to find.

Regards,
Stu Benner
www.emcwizard.com