Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers" (long,somewhat

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low voltage lighting solid state "transformers" (long,somewhat OT)
From: "Steven Farmer" <wa5rpf@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:46:02 -0700
> The thot plickens!

Indeed.

The "quiet" RT60A units purchased at the local electrical supply house also
have the backwards "RU" logo.  And like the noisy units,  they don't have
any FCC id on them.    The complete text on the box is:

----
RSA LIGHTING   (c) RU  E187326
CAT NO.RT60A
INPUT: 120V, 50/60HZ, 60VA, 0.5A
OUTPUT: 11.5V, 60W MAX.
CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER, 5A FUSE

WITH SURGE SUPPRESSOR, SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION
& EMI FILTER
FOR USE WITH 12V HALOGEN LIGHT ONLY

CONNTECT BLACK & WHITE LEAD TO POWER AND CONNECT RED WIRES TO LAMP
----

And yes,  is does say "CONNTECT" ;-)

Googling for "RSA LIGHTING" takes you to the cooperlighting.com web site,
but I couldn't find any mention of the RT60A there.

I'm confused about the labeling requirements for these things.  Do they need
to have an FCC id number on them?   Of the 3 different models I've seen so
far,  none of them has had an FCC id.

When I first posted about the RT60A I neglected to mention that it's much
larger than the units that I plan to have replaced.  I *think* it will fit
into a single recep box,  but I'm not yet sure.  The only one that's been
installed so far went into a double box with a lot of extra wiring.  It was
tight.

73,

Steve WA5RPF