Re: [RFI] Long distance grounding

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Long distance grounding
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:17:13 -0400
Dave,

One point of view is that there is no need for an "RF ground" if your
antennas and feeds are properly balanced.  (No RF on the coax, etc.) On
the other hand, if you are running a long wire antenna out of your
shack, your rig and ground line are definitely part of the antenna!

Few of us have real RF grounds.  According to a rule of thumb, a ground
needs to be shorter than about 1/10 wavelength to avoid phase shift
problems.  That would be 3 feet max. for 10 meters.

AC safety grounds matter, and lightning/surge grounds matter, but not so
much "RF" grounds.  20 ft should be no problem for AC safety.  For
lightning protection you want a single-point ground system that is
bonded to your house ground and any other available grounding rods, etc.
by a low-impedance path, "as short as possible".  20 ft may be OK if all
your shack power, antenna, and other leads (data network, telco) are
surge protected locally against the SPG. (An example:
http://blog.aa6e.net/2005/03/in-shack-ground-system.html )

73 Martin AA6E