Re: [RFI] Is a Micrometals T44-52 a useful Ham toroid?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Is a Micrometals T44-52 a useful Ham toroid?
From: Tim Groat <tcgroat@mesanetworks.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:33:40 -0600
Technical information can be found at
<http://www.micrometals.com/materials_index.html>. In general, #52 is a
"power conversion" material: mu = 75, but poor Q at RF. The low
permeability allows it to handle considerable DC current without
saturating. That makes it useful for differential-mode power line filters
and the like. Mix #52 is often used for output filters of switch-mode power
supplies.

However, like all iron powder cores #52 won't perform as well as ferrite
for common-mode suppression because it has much lower permeability. It
won't easily replace beads and snap-on cores when you need to suppress
common-mode currents, because it takes many turns to equal the impedance of
one turn in a ferrite core.

The low Q of #52 mix makes it undesirable for transmitter output filters,
tuned circuits, and other applications where RF loss would be a problem.
For high Q circuits, choose a low-loss mix that's made for RF (such as #2,
#6, or #17).

I hope this helps!

73
--Tim (KR0U)