[RFI] RFI From Ironman Inspire Treadmill

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI From Ironman Inspire Treadmill
From: "Tim Goeppinger" <timgep@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:29:50 +0000
This Spring, I had some severe RFI on 40 & 80 meters, and I DF'ed it with my car's AM
radio to my neighbor's house. After questioning them for a while we figured out the RFI
is from their Ironman Inspire Treadmill. The treadmill has a MSRP of $1600, but I'm sure they
paid less. Here it is:
http://www.ironmanfitness.com/product.php?id=Inspire&cat=treads

My neighbor is very cooperative, and we tried wrapping their power cord around the largest
toroid that Amidon sells, and got in about 6 turns. It reduced the RFI from about an S9 to
an S8. I guess that's about 3 dB, but not enough.

I called the manufacturer, and they gave the usual spiel about buying a Radio Shack AC line filter
for $20. They even suggested opening up the treadmill to install toroids. I said "wouldn't
that void the warranty?". They assured me it would not (Yeah, right).

Where do I go from here?

1. Buy a AC line filter? Is the MFJ one any good?

2. Is there any FCC regulation to fall back on to try to force the manufacturer to do something?
It would be great if they would sell a kit so that a TV repairman could install it. (I am not going
to open the treadmill).

3. In what case will the power company put on a filter where the line meets the house?
Not really their responsibility, is it? But I have heard the treadmill under a power line a
block away, so it is definitely radiating out the power line.

4. Work out a schedule with my neighbor where they agree stay off of the treadmill during evenings on the 8 major contest weekends of the year.

Any other ideas? 80m season is coming soon, and I want to be prepared!

Tnx & 73,

Tim K6GEP