Re: [RFI] RFI From Ironman Inspire Treadmill

To: "Tim Goeppinger" <timgep@hotmail.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI From Ironman Inspire Treadmill
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:21:27 -0700

- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Goeppinger" <timgep@hotmail.com>
To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 7:48 AM
Subject: [RFI] RFI From Ironman Inspire Treadmill

> >Tim,
>
>>What is the material type (i.e. mix #77, #43) for the Amidon
>>toroid you wrapped the power chord with?
>
>>Mike,
>>W4EF........................................................................
>
> I used the J type, which covers .5 to 10 MHz
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

Type J should okay, so I suspect your choke is probably working.

One kind of out of the box  idea that occured to my last night was why
not  buy your own treadmill for purposes of debugging the problem.
I know its a lot of money to spend, but when you  consider what your
time is worth and how much you have invested in your radio equipment,
it might actually be a good economic tradeoff when you consider the
grief it could save you. After you determine the fix, then you could
sell the unit (or trade with your neighbors and then sell their unit) or
donate it to charity and recoupe a reasonably signficant portion of the
purchase cost. If after trying all the obvious fixes, I were still fighting
the problem,  I would strongly consider doing that if it were me. Of
course I'd enjoy working on the problem much more than I would trying
to be diplomatic with neighbors, so I'd probably give into that temptation
sooner than most :-) BTW, as an added bonus, by buying and fixing the
unit there would be a known published fix for the problem in the event
that other hams were similarly afflicted in the future.

In any case, keep us all up to date on your progress.