Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] DirecTV to ground or not to ground
From: "Jim P" <jvpoll@dallas.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 21:03:42 -0600
Just  two points in response, Jim:

a) I  have endeavored to learn the reason why the NEC
'calls out' certain specific methods and have decidely not
found the underlying rationale solely based in the 'text books'

b) History, practice and more importantly, mistakes in
practice (accidents) have made important contributions
to the NEC than simple theory would or  could predict;
take for iinstance grounding practices. What is the rationale
for grounding the secondary circuit (the service to the home)
of a power transformer for instance? A 'ground'  isn't strictly
neccessary for that service to function. (I am asking this
for the purposes of bringing forth an example; I can cite
cases where, in practice, this has saved property and/or
life, but that is different than a statement or the treatment
a textbook might give.)

Could you cite a textbook wherein that rationale is clearly
spelled out?

JimP // WB5WPA //