Re: [RFI] Nasty RFI wiping out higher bands

To: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Nasty RFI wiping out higher bands
From: "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr WA5ZNU" <Leigh@WA5ZNU.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:07:53 -0800
As a result of my eHam article on the bad interference generated by the
Whirlpool Duet series (same electronics as certain Sears models) I get
about one email message per month from a ham who has one, or whose
neighbor has one.  About half of them take my advice to call Whirlpool
and complain, and all of those who get back to me have told me the same
thing: Whirlpool tells them they are the first person ever to complain
about it.

I am pleased to hear that the LG model is quieter, but it's hard to be
certain with just one report.  I upgraded my ground system in a house
remodel, put various ferrites in place inside the washer data lines, and
used a brute-force RFI filter with additional 2.4" toroids (two
different mixes, 31 and 77 I believe) in different spots, and changed
from an inverted vee above the washer to a yagi away from it.  It no
longer wipes out the band for me, but it's definitely still there.

Leigh/WA5ZNU