Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFLs and LEDs
From: "David C. Hallam" <dhallam@rapidsys.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 07:54:31 -0500
To be more specific about my main high failure rate application, I have
a ceiling fixture over the bar in the kitchen.  It is separated from the
sink and stove by ceiling mounted cabinets.  There are 4 horizontally
mounted 100W equivalent CFL's.  It is turned off and on several times a
day but no short cycle use.  I have gotten into the habit of marking the
date on a bulb when I install it.  Approximately 6months is about as
long as a bulb will last.

I buy bulbs at Home Depot or Wal-Mart and get whatever is on sale or the
  cheapest so the brand will vary.  I don't buy Philips because they
seem to be priced about double that of any others.

I see a definite difference in life between the straight tube and twist
tube CF L's.  The straight tube seem to last much longer to the point
where I have no complaint about their length of service.  I have a
couple of those that I have had for years.

There have been some comments about the Lights of America brand.  All,
only 4, of the straight tube CFL's I have are Lights of America.  I know
I haven't bought one of those in over 10 years.

Three way bulbs have given me unusually poor service life but
incandescent bulbs do the same.  I don't know what it is about three way
bulbs.  I have not tried the dimmable CFL's.

David
KC2JD/4