Re: [RFI] CFL+surge? (Re: RFI Digest, Vol 73, Issue 22

Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL+surge? (Re: RFI Digest, Vol 73, Issue 22
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 15:25:23 -0500

Peter Laws wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 09:52, KC7VDA <KC7VDA@keepandbeararms.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello all;
>> A few years ago I  converted to CFL lights, like them very much,
>> HOWEVER!!!!!!
>> Every time we have a thunderstorm I have to replace several lights.
>> I have only had a few reach there normal end of life.
>> My conclusion is that the main problem with CFL's is their lack of ability
>> to withstand surges.
>> I am seriously considering having the power company install a surge
>> regulator at the meter.
>>

> Not being a fan of The Surge -- which took out my DSL modem, one of
> the Ethernet switches, the mobo of one of the PCs and the on-board NIC
> of the other and, worst of all, the CI-V circuit of my Icom 746! -- I
> had our electrical coop put one of those behind the meter.
>
> I don't recall any premature failures before the surge suppressor was
> installed - all my premature failures have been since!  :-)

A surge protector, be it whole house of otherwise is part of a *system*
and all parts of that system must work together. Grounding plays a major
role.   I've seen systems were protectors were recommended at the
outlets as well and I've seen then say not to use individual protectors
at the outlets.

 From what I've seen the whole house protector will require that it
become part of a single point ground system, otherwise it can make
things worse and particularly in relation to separate protectors at the
outlets.  Although not quite phrased in these words, every system I've
seen has emphasized the need for a good , single point ground.

If the grounds are not all tied together a current coming in from the
tower can put the equipment many thousands of volts above the house ground.

Nearly every light in our house is either a CFL or fluorescent.  I know
of none being lost to nearby of direct strikes to the tower and we've
averaged 3 verified, direct hits a year since I put the tower up.

73

Roger (K8RI)