Re: [RFI] RFI alert

To: Jack Shirley <jcshirle@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI alert
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2009 04:08:45 -0500

Jack Shirley wrote:
> http://www.oriones.com/
> Fluorescent lighting with electronic ballasts.
> I was just at a large company and they are replacing all their HID lamps
> with these fixtures. Apparently the RFI was so bad it interfered with their
> radio controlled cranes.
> I believe there is some tax incentive for companies to make the change.
> Heads up.

I wonder what they are doing. I looked at the web page, but all I found
was they are using a high intensity system. All of the lights in my shop
are fluorescents (22 8', 75 watt tubes), or 1650 watts. If they were
incandescents I could heat the place with them, but I'd need one whale
of an airconditioner in the summer.
With the conventional fluorescents I have no RF hash, but they are
sometimes noisy as in an audible noise.

73

Roger (K8RI)