Re: [RFI] HVAC Variable Speed Motors

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>, Rfi <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] HVAC Variable Speed Motors
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:47:53 -0400

On Apr 10, 2010, at 7:43 PM, Hardy Landskov wrote:

> Of course now the natural question is the following:
> I am going to be in the market for a new heat pump this Summer. Does anyone
> out there have a make/model number of a heat pump that does not use PWM
> circuitry?

Hardy --

Even though I used to call on Carrier AC's engineering department, I'm no
expert on heat pumps, but in researching the York HVAC site I did note that
they seem to have non-PWM models right next to the PWM models like the Affinity
series.  Just google your favorite manufacturer or google the brand carried by
your favorite local HVAC dealer/contractor.

These PWM models seem to have gained traction because of the current IRS tax
credit for high SEER units.  I suspect they're more expensive, for equal
heating / cooling capacities, but up here in the frozen north we don't see many
heat pumps of any kind....:-)

You could always procrastinate until the tax credit time frame runs out, then
you will have no reason at all to buy a PWM version.

Bud, W2RU