Re: [RFI] Bad QRN on HF

To: "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Bad QRN on HF
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:32:53 -0700
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 09:22:29 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:

>I would agree - certainly it is not unusual for propagation to carry
>thunderstorm noise thousands of miles.

Yes. Remember that noise is a radio signal, and behaves as any other radio
signal. It's quite common when using any directional antenna to hear static
from thunderstorms peak in a given direction. On 160M and 80M, it's quite
common for me to hear a LOT more of it at night when propagation is carrying
it here from the Great Plains or the Midwest.

I do, however, strongly agree with W4EF's advice to reduce the RF gain of the
RX to get it out of distortion when you put it on an analyzer. Distortion
will give you some wrong clues. Also, reducing that distortion also helps on
RX, because that distortion adds to the noise level, making it harder to copy
the signal.

73, Jim K9YC