Re: [RFI] Garage door openers

To: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Garage door openers
From: Ken Winterling <wa2lbi@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:26:01 -0400
Sam,

I haven't run across a garage door opener RFI problem.  Typically, they just
run the motor to open/close the door then keep the light on for some time (4
minutes or so).  The rest of the time the receiver is just quietly listening
for a transmitter signal.  While it is running I could see it generating
some noise but that should only be a matter of seconds while the door travel
up/down. Verify with the owner that the ONLY thing he did was open/close the
garage door.  Did he turn on/off any lights or do anything else while there?

Assuming you have narrowed the RFI to this specific house, have any/all of
the following been checked?
* A/C system - inside and outside components including condensate pump, if
equipped
* Heating system (not likely at this time of year)
* Electric water heater
* Refrigerator/freezer
* Attic/gable ventilator fan(s)
* Sump pump
* Water softener/conditioner
* Well pump and/or controller
* Alarm systems
* Security lights (electronic controls including photo-electric)
* Devices on a timer
* Defective GFCI outlet
* Battery chargers/"wall warts" for all sorts of devices.  Switch mode power
supplies are the worst offender.
* ???

I'm sure there are more but these items jump to mind.  Good luck with your
hunting and keep the list posted.

Ken, WA2LBI