[RFI] Alternative Noise Sources?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Alternative Noise Sources?
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 06:32:33 -0700 (PDT)
Ever since I became aware of the new noise source somewhere near my QTH, I've
been driving around, looking for it. Every morning, I leave home early and
drive

along the main roads where two different power companies have their 12.5 to 35
kV distribution lines. I've pretty much driven all the routes within a 2 mi
radius of my QTH and, using a 2 m/70 cm rig set of AM detection, have not found
any substantial sources. In fact, after the rain a day ago, everything was as
quiet as the grave, yet I still heard the noise on HF at home. I still hear the
noise and it has a definite 60 Hz component (actually, 120 Hz because there are
two peaks per cycle).

Nothing has changed at my house, so I'm pretty sure that the noise isn't
generated at my place, though I will double check all the usual suspects. I
live

in a neighborhood of nine houses, each on 10 ac lots. My closest neighbor is
probably 500 ft from my antenna. What consumer electronic item could they have
purchased and installed that would generate S9+20dB noise on 40 m with a 60 Hz
component 24/7? I don't think they watch TV 24/7, so I doubt that it's
something

like a plasma TV (I've not heard plasma TV noise). What else could it be? In
short, what might I be missing?

73,

Kim Elmore N5OP