Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Plasma TV's are killing our hobby
From: Alan NV8A <nv8a@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:52:35 -0500
On 12/31/10 04:44 am, Tony wrote:

> I recently discovered that a neighbors Plasma TV has been the source of
> interference I've been experiencing on HF. Needless to say, it's
> difficult to hear much while beaming in his direction and if it wasn't
> for the fact that I'm far enough away to null the noise in other
> directions, I'd be off the air.
>
> To add insult to injury, the same noise has turned up on another beam
> heading, but fortunately, it's much weaker and not nearly as intrusive.
> The fact that it was discovered a day after Christmas leads me to
> believe that someone received a new Plasma for the holiday.
>
> I hate to say it folks, but I think it's only a matter of time before we
> become overwhelmed with devices like these, especially in areas like
> mine where neighbors are within 100 feet of each other.
>
> We're fortunate that our utility company has a special investigator who
> does a terrific job solving RFI issues, so we will pursue this one. I
> feel for those who aren't so lucky.

I read several years ago that many of the big-screen TVs (probably
plasma at that time) being sold in retail stores were not in fact
certified for use in residential environments.

But as others have pointed out, plasma sets seem to be going away. I
can't recall seeing one in the stores for years.

73

Alan NV8A