Re: [RFI] Low pass filter opinions

To: aa5jg@fidmail.com, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Low pass filter opinions
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 21:21:47 EST

Do you actually have TVI to over the air TV stations?

Since the digital transition in 2009, there are extremely few low VHF TV
stations (CH 2-6, 54-88 MHz) on the air. Maybe 25% of the stations are on
high  VHF (CH 7-13, 174-216 MHz).

Do you have stations that freeze up or go black when you transmit? If not,
no problem. Squiggly lines and the like from the days of old are a thing of
 the past with digital TV.

If you are getting into cable TV, that's another story.  It's either a  bad
cable system where outside signals are leaking into the cable system
(shouldn't happen) or fundamental overload which a LP filter will do nothing to

help.

We've come a long way from the 60's where a six meter transmitter used the
6th harmonic of an 8 MHz crystal ( or 8th of a 6 MHz crystal) and you then
had  to filter out the 7th or 9th harmonic from that crystal before your ham
signal  hit your antenna.

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 1/11/2011 8:49:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,