Re: [RFI] What is it? <was> Re: Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask,

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What is it? <was> Re: Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"
From: Sam Morgan <k5oai.sam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 12:43:49 -0500
On 5/3/2011 12:10 PM,
in the thread:
Re: [RFI] Don't ask, "What is it?" Instead, ask, "Where is it?"
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/rfi/2011-May/008982.html

Paul Christensen wrote:
 >> I might try to apply those words of wisdom and,
 >> "just find it"
 >
 > The question of "what is it?" is not completely irrelevant.  Before the
 > "just get out and find it phase," one really needs to know the noise pattern
 > category.  Time spent in localizing the noise source is significantly
 > reduced if, for example, the interfering noise is at least initially
 > identified as either power line or switch-mode based.  Isolating the root
 > cause of those two very different types of noise source requires a different
 > set of tools and methodology.  You can end up wasting an awful lot of time
 > trying to locate a SMPS problem with a complex RFI diagnostic tool from
 > Radar Engineers.
 >
 > Paul, W9AC

== == == ==

which is why I originally ask in this thread:
New noise, what is it?
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/rfi/2011-April/008971.html

 > "I have a new fun noise captured on screen and audio.
 > Anyone have any ideas on what it may be?"

 > http://www.k5oai.com/rfi/index4.html#april29
=====

It sure doesn't seem like what I think utility line noise should be
but then again it doesn't look like
what I thought most SMPS noise I have seen looked like either,
with repetitive single (jagged sometimes dancing) peaks
every 20 up to 50 khz or more,
and these triple peaks don't seem to be everywhere,
but rather are limited to from 14.9mhz to 19.0mhz

I just thought someone might recognize them
and be able to point to a *POSSIBLE* starting point,
realizing it might not totally be correct,
and not as something to get fixated on,
and from there,
go on to try to prove it was,
what that original guess had been.

that said,
if I had all the right tools and prior experience and knowledge
I wouldn't need to be asking questions on this list now would I?
--
GB & 73
K5OAI