Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comparing Lightning Arrestors?
From: K8RI <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 00:09:23 -0400
On 5/17/2011 4:44 AM, dalej wrote:
> Myles,  no problem.
>
> But just to clarify,
>
> A house was struck less than a mile from my QTH.  Actually it wasn't the
> house, but a gas meter.  The occupants could not return until the house was
> completely rebuilt months later.  Nice house too.
>
> On my mothers property a lightning bolt struck a pine tree about 40 feet from
> her house, the tree was quite tall but by the time lightning was finished it
> was about 12 feet tall and parts of that large tree was scattered for a block
> around the house.  The bolt moved on the ground, made it inside the house to
> an electrical outlet on the patio then took out a freezer and some other
> electrical appliances.  The track was clearly visible as it burned a carpet
> leading right to that outlet.  It was amazing.  I have a video tape of it.
>
> Let me set the record straight.  I know about TV transmission towers, radio
> towers, the Empire state building etc.  The question was, was there anything
> to replace the ICE devices...From there we went on, and on...
>
> I think we're all pretty clear about lightning and it's effects.  W8JI, which
> the link to his web page seems to have all the right answers so if I were
> inclined, that is how I'd pattern my lightning protection, but I choose to
> tempt mother nature and just disconnect every thing when I hear the distant
> rumble.  If I happen to be away and forget to disconnect, well then I hope my
> insurance will cover, otherwise I am S.O.L.  :(  And that's about all I have
> to say on this subject.  73 Dale

I hope when you disconnect things inside you ground things outside.
A floating antenna or antennas make a tempting target for lightning and
from there it's a short jump to the house.
With the ground system here, I rarely disconnect anything and have had
no damage from numerous strikes to the tower.  That's not to say I feel
immune with this system as I don't, but if I disconnect anything it gets
grounded.

4th photo down on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
shows the initial entrance box.  It's been replaced with a larger box,
more cables,  more polyphasers and more grounds.  The bare #2 copper
ground line on the far right caries through to the equipment inside the
house.

73

Roger (K8RI)