Re: [RFI] CFL list, anywhere?

To: "Christopher Brown" <cbrown@woods.net>, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] CFL list, anywhere?
From: "Dale Svetanoff" <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 16:39:28 -0600
Chris,

One of the points made in your post, but not emphasized, is safety.  Of the
CFLs that I have, only 1 did the "cook and sizzle" routine, and that was at
first turn-on!  All others have just gone dead, period.

I have gotten so frustrated with short CFL life that I now use a permanent
marker to place the installation date on the white base materal of each
CFL.  Note that most, if not all, CFLs sold in North America do bear the "c
UL us" label, which means the manuafturer has gotten safety approvel from
UL for their design of the bulb for Canada and US usage.  If any of the
"approved" bulbs should show scorching or other signs of excessive heat, I
suggest that it might be a good idea to take photos of the bulb and contact
both UL and Consumer Union.  CU does accept product failure info from
consumers.

I installed a pair of Sylvania (but "Made in China") CFLs in the protected
lamp fixtures on either side of my garage door in 2009.  One bulb died
recently - just plain quit.  I replaced it with another of the same brand
and type, only to see it last 2 nights and then die.  The package says
"10,000 Hours" typical life.  The first one lasted, by my estimate, roughly
6000 hours - not too bad, but nowhere close to 10 khours.  The second one
ran for about 16 hours and croaked.  Keep in mind that one of the original
bulbs is still running and may get to 10 khours.  We'll see.

I find the comments and testing for dying bulbs to be of interest.  I have
not conducted any such RFI tests on any of the CFLs in my house, but I
think I'll give it a try.  You are correct about these bulbs being driven
by el cheapo power supplies, but I think they can last a long time if there
is some care used in both the design and construction of those power
supplies.  Incidentally, I have the first CFL I ever bought STILL running!
It is a Philips 40 watt-equivalent, made in Poland, and running in daily
use since mid-2000.  I have never detected noise from it.  It is used in a
lamp atop a dresser, runs base down, and works fine, but is slow to come up
to full output.

73, Dale
WA9ENA