Re: [RFI] Smart meters

To: dhallam@knology.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smart meters
From: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:51:23 -0500
On 2012-01-17, at 10:02 AM, David C. Hallam wrote:

> What I don't understand is why electric utilities can charge me to build
> a nuclear power plant long before they start construction.

Hi David,

I really & truly wonder what the good people of your State might have to say if
your power authority did what ours here did (and continues to do)...?

Specifically, the province of Ontario brought in smart meters with the express
aim of incorporating new time-of-use fees based upon peak hours, vs. "off"
hours---in other words, under the premise of energy conservation.

The result here...?

In these tough economic times many people are struggling to do their laundry &
dishes during "off peak" hours to save themselves some $$$---yet, despite their
efforts, monthly bills have gone up anyway.

And what does our provincial authority do to aid & abet this nobel movement
toward conservation...? They actually PAID millions of tax payer dollars to the
power authorities in New York State & the province of Quebec to take---FREE OF
CHARGE!!!---Ontario's surplus electricity!

That's our reward, on a personal level, for making sacrifices...

But that's not all: the government here now wants to embrace wind turbine
technology in a big way: and what does that mean to us lowly, beleaguered tax
payers...? Just this: the kilowatt hour cost of wind generated power will be
some EIGHT TIMES what it presently costs, there have been no meaningful
environmental impact studies conducted here as to the effects upon those living
nearby, and the contract for the multi-millions of dollars (if not billions)
required to purchase this stuff is to be awarded to---TA DA!!!---an Asian
manufacturer.

As Forrest Gump said so eloquently, "Stupid is as stupid does."

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ