Re: [RFI] Smart meters

To: "'jim@audiosystemsgroup.com'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Smart meters
From: "EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:47:13 +0000
Jim,

Based on your message I'm sure you already know this.

Factors that affect electric system load (base or peak)--in no particular order:
1.  Building new power plants (or not building in some cases).
2.  New regulations affecting the types of power plants being built.
3.  Consumer usage.

I long for the good old days when utilities could build as many power plants as
they thought they would NEED and only worry about the engineering (system load,
etc), safety and costs aspects.  Those days are gone (along with my dept.
budgets).

The major changes affecting power generation today are regulatory changes.
Utility companies have to balance system base load and peak load requirements
against new environmental regulations.  They are walking on an economic tight
rope, and consumers (and investors) will feel the pain if or when they slip.
Shifting peak load won't change the regulatory problems, but perhaps make it
less painful unless consumers also consider altering their lifestyle just as
painful.

My apologies for drifting off topic.  The smart meter thing will eventually
work out the technical RFI problems over time.  But meeting power load versus
new regulations will probably be far more troublesome due to the politics.

73, de ed -K0iL