Re: [RFI] A fun and educational RFI toy.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] A fun and educational RFI toy.
From: Cortland Richmond <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:39:21 -0500
Hi Kurt,

I've worked with these for ~30 years (now semi-retired). As you note,
the design is simple. However, the impedance curve required is hard to
achieve* if you only build according to the schematic.  Older LISNs in
particular tend to have resonances due to inductor turn-to-turn capacitance.

Since lab assessors these days don't credit anyone with the ability to
check things for themselves (or can't tell if it's right when they see
it done), it has become common to just get the paperwork from an outside
CAL lab, and rarely does a test lab make its own equipment any more.
This keeps the cost up.

I have one 625 ?H LISN and four 5 ?H LISNs, and gave away a 50 ?H one to
the League lab years ago; it had been among the items sold as scrap from
our EMI lab at Tandy when they sold off the computer business and
shipped 2/3 of the equipment to AST research. The ARRL lab is still
using it, too, darn it! I could use it now.

*See for example www.elmac.co.uk/pdfs/ff26_report.pdf

Cortland
KA5S