Re: [RFI] Receiver settings for hearing RFI?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Receiver settings for hearing RFI?
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 08:56:02 -0400
Sam,

Good info.  One advantage of using the netbook PC and SDR receiver is that
noise signatures can be saved and archived on-the-fly.  This is helpful when
identifying a reoccurring noise source.  For example, three years ago, a
neighbor (a renter on the property) was using a microfridge to cool his
beer.  It was a cheap Asian import model, purchased from Wal-Mart.  It
produced an unusual, but repeating signature every 60 kHz.  The noise went
away after I discussed the matter with the property owner. A few months
later, it was back.  I compared signatures from the prior event and was
armed with evidence that clearly showed it was the same device  -- or
another neighbor just happened to have purchased an identical microfridge!

Methodically documenting like this can really help when trying to convince a
neighbor (or the FCC if necessary) that the problem is real.

Paul, W9AC