Re: [RFI] Solar Inverter.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Inverter.
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 22:29:46 -0600
Ditto on the "contract stipulation" requiring no EMI which is a good
idea for ALL installations and purchases where objectionable
interference may be a possibility.  However assuming that fixing the
inverter is the problem at the present I would suggest that work I have
done on eliminating RF interference on high power electronic ballasts
would be similar to what the solution is for this problem.

Both the electronic ballasts and the solar inverter are kilowatt plus
devices.  Both have 2 primary ports (DC in and AC out for the inverter)
and both involve high power semiconductor switching devices.  I have not
personally been involved with any solar inverters but have been
successful in eliminating interference from several high power
electronic ballasts.  These electronic ballasts produced S9+25dB
interference levels at distances of 50ft.  Take a look at
http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/grow_light_electronic_ballasts.html
which shows measurements and what was done.   Ferrites alone were not
adequate to eliminate the RF interference.

73,
Larry, W0QE