[RFI] Mystery cyclic buzzing

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mystery cyclic buzzing
From: John <jonie41@bell.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 00:39:27 -0400
Group,

Moved to a new house last summer, got out the trusty FT-817 to check out the
air waves and discovered a cyclic buzzing noise that obliterated the HF
spectrum unless the received station was 59+++. Noise was present for one
second then gone for one second then repeated.

Was out walking the dog and heard the heater on the local beer store roof
(winter by this time) cycling at the same rate. "Oh great," I thought, "How
am I going to approach the manager and also explain the he should get his
heater serviced?"

Time marched on.took the bull by the horns and started to read through the
ARRL RFI book, got impatient, got out he trusty FT-817 again, killed the
power to the house, HF bands came alive, no buzzing noise. Next step, power
back on, start flipping circuit breakers. When did the noise stop again,
well of course, flipping the last breaker! Disconnected everything from that
circuit, breaker back on, noise was back, what the..? Had lunch. Lunch over,
then I remembered the Ryobi tool battery charger was still plugged in on the
noisy circuit, unplug the charger, noise gone! Happy ham now.

Culprit, Ryobi ONE+ Charge Center P113, the bright greeny-yellow top and
grey bottom unit that charges Ryobi's old and new battery types.

Hope this helps someone.

John, VE3KKQ