Re: [RFI] HDTV: Plasma vs LCD

Subject: Re: [RFI] HDTV: Plasma vs LCD
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 07:09:31 -0500
I concur. There may be a few quiet ones, but unless you have reports from several sources all indicating the same model TV to be one of those, I would stay clear of them. Or at least make sure you can take it back for a full refund if it causes problems. I have a plasma TV 300 to 400 feet from most of my antennas that produces serious RFI on all bands from 160 through 6 meters. I can hear several other, weaker plasma TVs out to over 2000 feet away! There is NO WAY one of the things is coming into MY home. Putting filters on the TVs can help somewhat, but I'm convinced they radiate RF directly off the screen. The other problem is that most people who have a plasma TV have a full home entertainment/home theater system with a dozen cables attached to the TV. Each and every cable needs a common-mode choke. Even then the noise just gets a few dB weaker in the cases I've seen. It's certainly not gone.

73,
Paul N1BUG