Re: [RFI] Arc fault protection

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Arc fault protection
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2013 16:35:26 -0500
On 1/5/2013 12:40 PM, rick darwicki wrote:
I remember when these first came out, building codes required them on the
duplex outlet circuits to bedrooms so electric blankets didn't cause fires. Now
a lot of states want them everywhere.
Typical government/committe expansion of what was originally a good idea
(maybe).

Same with GFICs used to be only in bathrooms, expanded to kitchens near a sink,
now ALL countertops with duplex outs in a kitchen need them even if not near
the sink.

GFIs don't need a ground to work, they sense a difference in in/out current. In
some older homes people install them in the old two wire dulpex outlets so they
have protection and a 3 prong outlet.

"Used to be" with GFIs you only needed one on any given circuit, Typically the first one in the line and it would serve for all the other outlets.

Each circuit in our house and my shop are wired like this. doesn't matter which outlet gets the ground the entire circuit goes down.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Rick, N6PE