Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:00:02 -0600 (CST)
how often has anyone actually been able to identify a source from an audio
recording??  cite cases... i would like to hear specific cases where the audio
was enough to identify a specific source of a noise.

you will find in most cases the defining characteristics needed for even making
a guess at a source are wide band spectrums and long term observations of
on/off cycles... even if you don't have an sdr to make pretty waterfalls,
things like observations where the noise repeats every 50khz, the width is
75khz and repeats every 150khz, it starts at sunrise and stops at sunset, it
jumps around when the line voltage changes, etc... THOSE things lead to
pointing at POSSIBLE sources, usually long lists of possible sources.  but even
this kind of information is never enough to identify the single source, you
MUST get out there and cycle your own home breakers to check out your house
first... Then if you haven't found it you can start DFing... and don't count on
a single type of antenna or receiver to find everything, as has been pointed
out many times different noises require different techniques and equipment.  a
ultrasonic dish won't find you a battery charger, and an hf loop may g
 et you in the right block with a bad insulator but won't find you the pole.