Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz

To: RFI@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] RFI on 1.8 mhz
From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:14:16 -0600 (CST)
that may be a good one.  but does it have to be on a specific frequency or
range of frequencies??    i have a generator that sweeps through a part of 160m
at about that rate depending on load.   what would distinguish the sound of
that sweep from that from something else sweeping across a different frequency
range?

Jan 22, 2013 10:58:50 AM, mjc5@psu.edu wrote:

On Jan 22, 2013, at 8:00 AM, David Robbins wrote:

> how often has anyone actually been able to identify a source from an audio
> recording?? cite cases... i would like to hear specific cases where the audio
> was enough to identify a specific source of a noise.

I heard RFI on North Oak Lane in State College PA this past fall. Sort of a
sweeping noise, around a second apart.

I went to a web page with noise examples, and heard a duplicate of the noise,
it was attributed to an electric dog fence. To verify the noise, I went by the
house again, and saw the trenches the homeowner had dug, and noticed that their
dog often sat outside within the fence perimeter.

The audio recording was a direct lead to identifying the noise.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -