[RFI] "Fake" power supplies

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] "Fake" power supplies
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:41:20 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
All,

In view of the continuing multiple threads regarding RFI to radio systems from
various products and their power supplies, here is an article that I think
sheds some light on the severity of the problem we, and others who need to
communicate via radio, are facing in today's world:

http://www.edn.com/electronics-blogs/power-supply-notes/4409903/How-to-avoid-being-ripped-off-when-buying-power-supplies

Note: You will need to copy and paste, since plain text does not support active
links.  Once you get into the article, be sure to click on the link that takes
you to the discussion about the fake PFC ("power factor correction") coil.  I
was stunned, and angry, as well.  Visions of correcting that problem via K9YC's
"Bucket Treatment" come immediaetly to mind.

Frankly, while I had seen el sleazo power supplies that probably once had all
parts in place (long enought to pass testing) and then the EMC components were
deleted so as to save 50 cents or so per unit in production, I have not run
into actual fakery as described in this article.  It is bad enough when some
piece of electronic equipment that you own has junk like this inside, but when
it ends up in something owned by your neighbor. then the REAL problems set in.
After all, when you end up with a bad switching supply, you can at least throw
it in the trash and probably replace it with a homebrew (or maybe surplus)
linear model that will not affect your ham operations.  When your neighbor gets
this stuff, it's bad news unless he/she can be convinced to complain to the
seller or manufacturer that it causes interference (per Part 15) and maybe get
some response from the FCC (not likely, but maybe).

A point to keep in mind is that reputable product manufacturers may very well
be selling products that are powered by garbage like what is discussed in this
article.  (Note the comments about fake UL and FCC labels.)  If they do not
conduct full EMC tests on the selected product (and most probably will not),
then the only way that a bad choice in power supply vendor will be known is
when someone who is sensitive to RFI issues gets burned and yells, a lot.

73, Dale
WA9ENA