Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 20:42:22 -0700
On 4/25/2013 7:54 PM, Aaron Kreider wrote:
Does it ever make sense to shield a ground wire?

NO

Or is this a silly idea?

Yes.

I'm thinking of trying running coax to my ground rod instead of copper wire. The copper wire is picking up tons of RFI.

That suggests that something is seriously wrong with the power wiring and/or grounding in your home, and probably with your antenna system.

Are all the grounds in your home bonded together? Are you sure that your power system is properly grounded? Properly wired? Is the power system ground bonded to the station ground, the cable TV system ground, the telephone ground, the satellite dish ground? They MUST be.

What sort of antenna are you using? A long wire or vertical? Do you have radials or a counterpoise for these antennas? You should. Do you have effective common mode chokes at the feedpoint on all coax feedlines? You should.

There's a tutorial on the fundamentals of power system wiring on my website, and there's excellent material in the last few annual editions of the ARRL Handbook on station grounding. http://k9yc.com/publish.htm

73, Jim K9YC