Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Shielding a ground wire
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 15:31:35 -0700
On 4/28/2013 2:42 PM, Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On 4/28/2013 11:21 AM, Timo Toro wrote:
I did fix my problems already. My antenna systems are not incomplete. Of
course more and higher masts would be nice, hi.

But if I run over 1KW to my 4el Yagi on 40m and my PC stops working, I
have to fix that problem. I did not use the band aid either. Nowadays my
ham shack is more like Faraday shield, hi. And lightning safe.

BTW I have two computer within 2 to 4 feet of the rigs in the shop.
I have a similar set up in the house/den with a 5th computer in my wife's office, about 30 feet to the South of the ones in the Den.

The station in the house is an old Icom 756 Pro (Jim's favorite <:-)) ) driving an Alpha 76 while the one in the shop is a Yaesu FTDX5000MP driving an Emtron DX-2sp into a Palstar AT5K.

All 5 computers are wired to the stations and each other with CAT6 through an 8 port switch. There are 3 runs of CAT6 and one phone line about 130 feet long between the house and shop. The towers and antennas for both stations are tied together with 32 or 33 8' ground rods, CadWelded(TM) to over 600 feet of bare #2 copper.

The tricky part is that the house and shop are on separate electrical feeds, but at least from the same transformer. There is close to 300 feet of wire between them. Actually my ground system ties both grounds together.

Even when I had 75 lighting up all the LEDs it did not bother the computers.

RF can get into the computer by direct pick up from the antennas, RF pick up via the house wiring, or common mode via the feed line. In some cases there is a phone line to the computer as well.

Depending on the age of the house, there may be some surprises on some circuits, but the most likely source is still common mode voltage on/from the feed line.

73

Roger (K8RI)

Sounds like what I had on 75 with a center fed half wave, sloping, fan
dipole. SWR  at resonance is less than 1.1 : 1.  When I'd get to around
a KW out, all the LEDs on the control heads in the station would light.
To me that said, RF on the feed line which meant it was on the ground as
well.

My first thought was a current balun.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/AntennaFeed1.htm
Not neat, but a very high impedance for common mod voltages.  It
improved the situation but did not cure it, So I inserted another,
similar choke where the feed line reached the tower and no more RF in
the shack, feed lines, or ground.

I stopped the RF at the source.

An antenna may appear to have all its parts, a good SWR, and a good
ground, but bear by objects, ground conditions under and near the
antenna may leave you with an unbalanced system even though every thing
looks good.  Matter of fact, it's extremely unlikely that an antenna
will be truly balanced

73

Roger (K8RI)

I still like to use word "grounding" meaning low impedance route to
common point near earth potential.

73, Timo_oh5kw