Re: [RFI] Comments on RFI from Ductless Air Conditioning Units?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Comments on RFI from Ductless Air Conditioning Units?
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 12:41:10 -0600
Jeff,

I am a retired EE and worked for years designing communications equipment for AT&T, medical equipment, and the general aviation industry communications. All the equipment needed to meet various emissions standards (FCC part 15 A & B, CISPR 16, 17, 22, DO-160 etc). At frequencies below 30MHz RF emissions are based on conducted currents and not field strength measurements with FCC part 15B being slightly less than 10uA (QUASI peak detector in 9KHz bandwidth). A compliant FCC part 15B device will generally not be heard at distances more than 20-30' away. Of course there are so many exceptions to any generalizations in this area but this is a good starting guideline.

I happen to have all the equipment necessary to measure these currents and I realize that most folk don't so you need an alternate plan. First of all it is your money and you dictate the terms to a contractor and if they don't like it find another contractor. Contractors deal with many suppliers and they need to talk to the manufacturers as to which ones will stand behind their products as being RF clean. "Green" electrical appliances do not need to emit RFI that is objectionable. To appease a contractor get them to take you to a place where they installed the same product you are interested in and let you listen for interference. In this case they need to swear to you that you will get the exact same product and it will be installed the same. That may appease the contractor.

If we don't return noisy appliances (such as the Whirlpool Duet) and demand better we lose. The FCC seems to have no interest going after the bad lighting devices which are supposed to meet FCC part 18 and may actually be 10,000 times (40dB)over the limit. See http://www.w0qe.com/RF_Interference/grow_light_electronic_ballasts.html as an example. Devices such as direct drive motors in furnaces and washing machines are not subject to any requirements in the US but they are in Europe and many companies who primarily deal in Europe will design products that are more RF quiet.

73,
Larry, W0QE