Re: [RFI] Recommended All Band Receiver

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Recommended All Band Receiver
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 18:35:44 -0700
On 5/27/2013 2:25 PM, Steve wrote:
Hi Frank,

Does the TECSUN have an antenna jack so it could be used with a directional antenna on the aircraft band? Does it have an S-meter?

Google is your friend.

http://www.kaitousa.com/PL660.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Tecsun-PL-660-Portable-Shortwave-Single/dp/B004H9C4JK

http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/RX/TECSUN_PL-660_user.pdf There is an "antenna jack" on the side of the radio, but no indication whether it's coax or a single wire.

I haven't seen one of these radios, but I took a borrowed TECSUN PL-380 to Dayton for use in the hotel room. $45 at amazon.com It has a DSP IF, which makes it spectacularly good at receiving weak signals next to bigger ones. I have a vintage Technics ST-9030 (mid-70s, 8-gain tuned front end) and a Carver TX-11a hooked up to an 8-element pre-amped, roof-mounted Yagi pointed to San Francisco. Both hear signals on 91.5 MHz and 91.9 MHz full quieting, but only noise on 91.7 MHz, and the NPR station on 88.5 MHz is there but not nearly full quieting. With a clip lead from the center of the coax to the rabbit ear of the Tecsun 380, I hear a station from Paso Robles on 91.7 MHz off the back of the antenna full quieting, with only occasional mild bursts of buckshot from the other two stations, and the SF station on 88.5 is full quieting. A $40 HDR "Insignia" brand HDR table radio from Best Buy has a DSP IF and works as well. The PL380 has shortwave to 22 MHz. I haven't played with it. It does not cover the aircraft band.

These radios are made in China, but I suspect they may use one of the chips made by Silicon Labs. http://www.silabs.com/products/audiovideo/Pages/default.aspx

HD radio appears to have gone the way of the 8-track tape -- except for one or two legacy mega-buck high futility products, that Insignia is the only non-automotive radio currently being sold. Several years ago I bought a nice little Sony HD radio at Fry's for about $100. It was discontinued soon after, got glowing reviews, and sells for $500 used if you can find it. See K6STI's review.

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/index.html

Yeah, this is off topic, but these low cost consumer radios have blown me away.

73, Jim K9YC