[RFI] RFI-ing myself

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] RFI-ing myself
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:53:57 -0400
Hey Gang,
In my further adventures of "Lets get rid of all the inbound and outbound RFI"
I'm now having a small outbound RFI issue - and seems to be somewhat I known
problem

I'm running an Apple AirPort Express (I think it is a gen I - all in one cube
anyway) to get my music over to the Stereo, and it works really well except for
one thing - boy doe it pick up RFI, particularly at high power (discovered this
big time during the RTTY test).  OK, leave the stereo off, BUT the receiver I
have has a nice (in some ways) feature on the input I've got the Airport
Express on - when it sees Audio on the line, it automatically turns on

I have put 4 or 5 turns on a type 31 core on each end of the cable (at the
Airport, at the Stereo - one side a LARGE spilt bead (yes, could get 5 turns
through the split), the other a large torroid, but still have the issue.  IF I
pull the cable from the Airport, there is no problem (so it isn't the stereo
picking it up), and there are LOTS of reports of Airports picking up even FM
broadcast.  I'm thinking of the bucket, but would need to fins something else
that would do the job.  Any ideas how to suppress this thing?  I'm betting
there is some sort of DC>daylight audio response that can be bypassed or
something

BTW - the "Inbound" 80m problem has been determined NOT to be in the house -
I've now heard it switch on/off.  I suspect (based upon that it turns on SOME
evenings in the after dinner hours, and goes off around midnight-ish etc) that
it most likely is someone running a large plasma TV.  Now to figure out which
house, and if it is a TV (I have a suspicion), not that I figure I'll be able
to do anything about it

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)