Re: [RFI] If you're ATT, you can do something about RFI...

To: k8tb@bosscher.org, rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] If you're ATT, you can do something about RFI...
From: Dale <svetanoff@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 23:45:04 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Tom,

I suspect that your post will generate several replies.  Mine is as follows:

1.  Amateur radio is also a LICENSED service.  We CAN invoke the FCC, but
admittedly, it takes several more steps to get action than what AT&T had to do
in Houston.  It should be noted that 705 MHz DOES fall within the range of
controlled emissions for Part 15 devices, whereas 3.5 MHz does not.

2.  This case seems to be pretty much like the situation hams face when a
neighbor has a plasma TV or touch lamp or battery charger that are incidental
radiators and cause grief to radio systems.  FCC may not do anything about
radiated interference on HF because of non-coverage under Part 15, so you, the
ham, then have the option of confronting the neighbor directly about an
offending device; the result is often similar to what the defendant in this
case is doing to AT&T.  The difference is, of course, he'll probably lose.

3.  The one area in which FCC has gone to bat for hams has been with the
electric power companies when the interference can be shown to emanate from
distribution power lines and associated equipment.  I have had two situations,
one in IL and the other here in IA, in which the local power company was very
helpful and even quick in fixing severe RFI problems that were affecting me.  I
did not invoke FCC, but I think the power companies were well aware of the sort
of pressure or fines that can come from amateur radio RFI complaints.

4.  The situation here is not related to power distribution problems, and
neither are plasma TV or other consumer garbage RFI sources, so I suspect that
the fact that the light fixtures are putting out big sigs on 705 MHz is a huge
help for AT&T in getting action.  Incidentally, it sure would be interesting to
learn just how devices made to operate at relatively low frequencies can
generate strong harmonics or spurs way up into the UHF range.

73, Dale
WA9ENA