Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:34:17 -0700
On 3/25/2014 11:49 AM, Dale J. wrote:
Once when I had access to the TV, I tried one of those outlet strips with
filtering and it made no difference

I would not expect it to. They only affect the differential mode signal. As Ed has noted, the signal can be radiated common mode on the power cable, on an antenna (or CATV) cable, and even on cables connected to an A/V rig. If it's common mode, you need serious mutli-turn ferrite chokes, not "filters." Below 7 MHz, Fair-Rite #31 is the weapon of choice. Above 10 MHz, #31 is still quite effective, but #43 is slightly better. See my choke cookbook for some winding guidelines. Luckily, I've yet to encounter a plasma set, but there was a report, I think on this reflector, from a ham who had pretty good suppression with a choke on the power cable.

It's also possible for RFI to be radiated from wiring internal to the set, and chokes won't help with that mechanism.

73, Jim K9YC