Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: "Dale J." <dj2001x@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 13:44:21 -0500
Tom,

I'd love to do a lot of stuff with their tv, but it's not my house and I hate
to impose on them.  I have to catch the neighbor outside on a weekend and chat
with him a little and maybe something might get going.  As you can see I'm a
little squeamish about imposing on other people's home and property.  I guess I
wouldn't like it much and therein lies my problem, hi.  But I'll work on it.
Maybe by the time I finally can do some real investigation the TV will die.

Dale, k9vuj

On 26, Mar 2014, at 13:18, Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net> wrote:

> Dale,
>
> I checked with Costco and they only carry LED back lit TV sets now. In
> thinking about it further, I don't think making a measurement on the power
> cord with an RF current probe would be too definitive anyway because of the
> RFI coming from the other sets connected on the same circuit.  It would be
> instructive if you could conduct some tests on your neighbor's set.  Would it
> be possible to use a battery and quiet inverter to power the set with all
> other wires disconnected?  You might have to connect the cable to get the
> screen to light.  If you could do that and it eliminated the RFI then the
> line filters Ed suggested might work for you.
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> Tom   W0IVJ
>
> On 3/26/2014 2:23 AM, Dale J. wrote:
>> My next door plasma is broadband hash with various bumps along the way.  I
>> have one of those bumps especially bad at 3.857, it's 20 db over 9 and
>> sounds like a motor running but changing speed and sometimes stopping and
>> starting.  The broadband hash is all over the 80 meter band and 40 too.  The
>> upper bands are less affected. I suspect part of the noise is from a
>> switching power supply in the plasma tv, that might be what that motor
>> sounding noise is not sure though.  I wish it were my TV, I could then find
>> out more how these things tick before permanently disabling it.  Makes it
>> difficult on my USAF MARS net too.
>>
>> Dale, k9vuj
>>

>> On 25, Mar 2014, at 21:16, David Cole <dave@nk7z.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Imagine thousands of little lightening bolts...  Thats Plasma TV.
>>> --
>>> Thanks and 73's,
>>> For equipment, and software setups and reviews see:
>>> www.nk7z.net
>>> for MixW support see;
>>> for MM-SSTV see: