Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI

To: <qrv@kd4e.com>, "RFI List" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Utility coming tomorrow to chase RFI
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 14:31:47 -0700
: What are the recommended Ham handhelds that have VHF (and preferably
: UHF) AM?

That would be any of them that cover that range and mode in the past couple
decades or so.  A better question would be, what very few rigs are so
severely limited to NOT cover this?

I've used a Yaesu FT-50 and FT-60 on foot, both have AM in VHF and UHF, they
are inexpensive, one was always on me and gets the job done without
difficulty.  I set mine to 324 MHz.  It's in the range of where the power
company searches, so even the less clueless may understand it when they look
at your radio and their receiver and the FT-60 defaults to AM at that
frequency, so it's as easy as turning on the radio and inputting 324000 on
the keyboard.

At the worst poles even FM is obliterated because the radio is for a lack of
a better term, getting nuked.

Kurt