Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?
From: "Augie \"Gus\" Hansen" <augie.hansen@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 17:41:28 -0600

On 6/18/2014 5:05 PM, qrv@kd4e.com wrote:
Elk doesn't appear to offer a log-periodic:

http://www.elkantennas.com/shop/

But their prices are competitive with Arrow.

Each of the three antennas shown on that page is an LPDA, the first providing dual-band coverage and the others single-band coverage. Notice the dual booms and the fact that each element is split at the center and driven out of phase with neighboring elements via transposed attachment points. The dual bander uses the fact that the 70cm frequencies are roughly three times the 2m frequencies and resonate in the 3/2-wave mode. These antennas are usually feed via a balun at the front (higher frequency end) of the array.

However, none of these is a continuous wide-range LPDA type that you may be looking for, possibly covering 50 MHz (or 140 MHz) to 1300 MHz. You'll need to look to Create, Tennadyne, and other manufacturers for these, or make your own.

Gus Hansen
KB0YH

PS: My homebrew 10-20m LPDA is shown on my QRZ.com page. Your UHF/VHF LPDA would be much smaller!