Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Subject: Re: Recommended Handheld VHF-UHF Yagi?
From: CR <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 12:40:42 -0400
That is what it looks like, although we might better say that the smaller antennas needed or present at higher frequencies intercept less energy due to their smaller size.

This affects path loss, because all antennas, even a perfect (and imaginary) point source isotropic antenna, have a calculable effective aperture; for the point isotropic it's, wavelength squared, divided by 4*pi. Check out the path length nomogram for a pair of these amazing creatures at http://www.qsl.net/vk3jeg/pathloss.html

Also see http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0072321032/62577/ch02_011_056.pdf

Start at a distance with HF (if necessary) and VHF, move higher towards UHF and, near the culprit, a *higher gain. more directive* UHF or microwave antenna if signals are weak and you need that much accuracy. You might not.

I chased around Petaluma CA once to find 3.52 MHz cable-company-billing power line modems. Had to use a mobile antenna to find the right block, then house to house with a handheld receiver and homebrew untuned three inch loop to find the building and room. Once I got what looked like a a good fix from an advertizing sign pylon -- the source was really in a development across the street. Happy days.

Near the end of that little project I noticed people running out their front doors and into their back yards as I drove slowly down the street. Later, I figured out why. It was the day of a big game, and they were hiding illegal taps they'd connected to a neighbor's cable service. Heh!

Cortland
ka5s