Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:24:35 +0000
>From the measurements made by ARRL of consumer products show that the vast
>majority of products that claim to follow the rules actually do follow the
>rules.

The two exceptions have been some of the battery chargers and power supplies
imported from various countries and, of course, the grow lights ARRL recently
tested.

FCC does do some spot checking, but mostly in response to complaints.

Yes, the rules permit rather high levels of noise. If hams have S9-ish
interference from a neighboring house, it is likely that the device does not
meet the rules.  When ARRL receives those types of complaints, we often
purchase one of the units in question and make measurements and, if there are
emissions-limit violations of more than the few dB of measurement uncertainty
we have, we file formal complaints with the FCC.

Ed